Ever wonder what the insiders want you to know about going tiny? Here’s some advice from our experts at 84 Tiny Living.
Planning your tiny build/buy:
- Research the area you want to put your tiny house. Find out the codes and necessary specifications you need to follow for a permanent living structure in your area.
- Plan to use energy efficient appliances and fixtures. You want to be able to draw the least amount of energy as possible. Look for Energy Star or energy efficient certifications.
- Look up tiny houses available for rent. Stay in one for a weekend or week to see what’s it like to live in firsthand.
- Only build on a trailer that is designed specifically for your house. It needs to be able to support the weight of your tiny house.
- Incorporate as much reclaimed/recycled/repurposed/donated items as you can. As long as these items are up to code and efficient, it will greatly reduce the cost of your build and help the environment.
- Be prepared for curious visitors. RV parks, camp sites, rest areas, etc. are all open to the public, and many of them love to see a tiny house in real life.
- Things will break. Be prepared for repairs. Know how to change your tires, understand how your plumbing works, know what routine maintenance you will need to perform on your trailer to keep it functioning optimally.
- Practice your escape routes and what you would do in the event of an emergency. Keep a fire extinguisher in your house at all times and always have a second form of egress.
- Practice living in a small space. You don’t want to wait until you have purchased or built your tiny to figure out that you need something bigger.
- If you are going to be living in your tiny with anyone else (even pets) work on your communication skills. Have someplace you can go to if you need your privacy/alone time. Come up with a code word with your partner that you can use if you need a break. If you work or home school from your tiny, determine “quiet hours” that will be enforced.
Do you live tiny? Do you have any advice you can offer to our readers? Comment below!